Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Promotions Away!

Today, I had the pleasure of appearing on Radio Memphis, and doing a book signing at The Booksellers At Laurelwood. I was beyond thrilled with each experience, and hope that I get to do it again.





I was scheduled to be interviewed at 3 pm on Radio Memphis, which is an internet radio station. It was started 2 years ago by a former DJ of a local radio station. Disenchanted by the industry, he set out to do things his way. In the following years, he has hired a full staff of disc jockeys, and has set up events with ties to record companies.

As a self published author, I really respect this approach to music. I believe the time has come to cut out the middle men who take large portions of money, without really doing anything to help us. Having met the owner of the station once or twice, I emailed him to ask if he would mention the book signing. Instead, he invited me to the station for an interview!

Ric Chetter and Vexar Dave were very hospitable, laid back, and fun guys to talk to. I was "on air" for about 15 minutes talking about writing, publishing, and the future of the industry. While the mic was off, we talked about the state of entertainment as a whole. I believe we have very similar views on the subject matter.

A few hours later, I had my first book signing at local store, The Booksellers At Laurelwood. From the moment I walked in, I felt like a valued member of their family. They had a great display set up for me, as well as wine and cheese for the guests.

I realized earlier in the day that I had no idea what I was going to talk about while I was up there. So, I just pulled some anecdotes out of my ass, and made them laugh a few times. I took a few audience questions, and then signed books.

I knew most of the people at the signing, so it was kind of a surreal experience. I was sitting in front of a neighbors, coworkers, friends, and relatives talking about a book that I've babbled about forever to them. Everyone seemed to have a good time, and I sold almost all of the books that were ordered.

I would like to thank both Radio Memphis and The Booksellers for their hospitality. They were both incredible. I would also like to thank everyone who listened to the interview and came to the signing. Everyone has been so supportive of my writing, and I am truly grateful for that. They are the best people you can hope to know. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment